Wednesday, October 9, 2013

In My Own Private Hell (a love story)

In my own private Hell
A candle burns, spits out a flame.
I sit alone in the orange dark,
Lonely.  It is the way.
My tea stays warm
In this cup you made for me
In our own private Hell.

In my own private Hell
We sloth about this little apartment
Complaining, mumbling incoherently,
Dreaming of what we want
While barely sustaining what we have
In our own private Hell.

In my own private Hell,
I crawl onto the mattress with you
As you're passed out in a drunken haze
Mourning the death of another job,
More dollars to save that instead we spend.
I rage and plan but nothing works
and we pass along the days grieving
In our own private Hell.

In my own private Hell
I wonder why am I here.
Haven't been truly happy in years
As I let go of my past
Wishing the best for my future,
Planting seeds that die
In our own private Hell.

In my own private Hell
Sometimes you reach out to me,
Remembering I am just a woman
While you're only a man
Everything gets in the way of a simple touch
and sex should not have these consequences
In our own private Hell.

In my own private Hell,
People ask why I've stuck around.
Unsure of an answer, I grope with my hands
A web torn asunder by broken promises
and failed escape attempts.
In the end, I still wait for you to wake up
and remember me next time
In our own private Hell.